It's not a party if you're not on your feet dancing! At Party in the Park not only can you watch classic and contemporary dance, you can join in too.
The Dance Woking Stage
Official dance partner, Dance Woking, has been honoured with its own stage in the Bandstand Field this year in celebration of its 25th anniversary. The low-level stage offers a more participatory viewing experience for supporters of the borough’s community dance groups. Bandstand Field, showcases start at 1pm, 2pm, 3.20pm & 4.30pm.
The dance programme at Party in the Park has been supported by Arts Council England through their grants scheme, Woking Borough Council, Surrey Community Foundation and Active Surrey.
Throughout the day, ballroom professionals, The Swingsters, will be performing a variety of related dance styles and inviting you to have a go. They will walk you through the steps then gently guide you around the open-air dancefloor to music flowing from the Banstand. No partner required. Bandstand Field dancefloor, sessions at 12.30pm, 1.30pm, 2pm (samba), 3pm & 5pm (freestyle).
Ceyda Tanc Dance
In 2012, graduate, Ceyda Tanc, founded Ceyda Tanc Dance, creating a body of contemporary dance works with influences from Turkish folk culture. Her work has been shown at numerous platforms and festivals across the UK, including several sold-out solo programmes of work at Brighton Fringe Festival.
Catch two performances at Party in the Park choreographed by Ceyda and the chance to dance alongside members of her dance company.
- Watch KUSAK, an exciting intergenerational performance piece challenging perceptions of age. Bandstand Field dancefloor, 1pm
- Watch KAYA, an excerpt exploring human experiences of displacement. Dance Woking Stage, 3pm & 5pm
- Experience contemporary dance with a Turkish twist in a 20 minute open session led by Ceyda Tanc Dance. Bandstand field dancefloor, 3.30pm.
Amina Khayyam Dance Company
This professional touring dance–theatre company uses the south Asian dance, Kathak, as the core narrative in making new work. The Company is particularly concerned with issues that affect marginalized women, not just from the mainstream but from within their own communities.
- Watch an excerpt of their work focusing on Kathak’s intricate and theatrical gestures. Dance Woking Stage, 4pm
- Have fun with Bollywood and Kathak dance in this 30 minute drop-in session led by Amina Khayyam Dance Company. Bandstand field dancefloor, 4.30pm.