Shah Jahan Mosque
Described by the Pevsner Architectural Guides as 'extraordinarily dignified', the Shah Jahan Mosque is the first purpose-built mosque in Britain.
Commissioned by Gottlieb Wilhelm Leitner to provide a place of worship for Muslim students at the nearby Oriental Institute, it was designed by Victorian architect, W. L. Chambers, and completed in 1889. Its green and white dome and minarets are considered one of Woking's landmarks; decorative geometric tiles and Arabic calligraphy can be admired on the interior.
During the first half of the 20th Century, this mosque was the focus for the development of Islam in Britain, and received many important and royal visitors. Now a Grade II listed building, the mosque welcomes visitors and offers guided tours for groups.
As the mosque is a place of worship, visitors are humbly requested to dress modestly in the mosque and grounds. Please avoid visiting on Fridays and at prayer times (usually 1-2pm).
Directions: 149 Oriental Road, Woking GU22 7BA. The mosque is a short walk (15 minutes) from the south side of Woking Railway Station, close to Lion Retail Park.
Contact: Shah Jahan Office Administrator, on 01483 760679 or email email@example.com to arrange a visit.