Walkers and cyclists alike benefit from the upgraded towpath along the Basingstoke Canal. Regarded as one of the most beautiful waterways in Britain, the waterway traverses the Borough east to west, from Brookwood to West Byfleet. It was built between 1788 and 1794 to open up routes from London to the coast but was never completed past Basingstoke.
A two-mile stretch from the Wheatsheaf Bridge in the town centre to Kiln Bridge, St Johns, features several bridges, two locks and abundant wildlife and can be easily found between The Lightbox and The Living Planet Centre. This stretch is also a conservation area. Alternatively, head east to reach the pound between Boundary Road and Sheerwater, which features remains of the canal's industrial heritage.
The canal towpath is a popular route for cyclists, and links with the Borough's network of signposted cycle trails.
Built by local land owner Sir Richard Weston, it flows through Woking's villages at West Byfleet, Pyrford and Old Woking. At Pyrford there is a working lock and the Send section has rich wildlife, Triggs Lock and the site of a rural wharf. The Byfleet Boat Club offers boats to hire, and the whole river is a conservation area.